Orinda Veterinary Clinic

Serving Lamorinda Since 1965

                                    Spring and Summer Tips



FOXTAILS get caught in fur, burrow deep into your pets skin, and form infected pockets. Check your pets feet and coat for foxtails after every outing. Foxtails will also travel down ear canals, get into eyes, and go up noses. If your pet is shaking his/her head a lot, sneezing continuously, or has a red, puffy or runny eye, please have us take a look.                                                   


RATTLESNAKES are hiding in our local open spaces and will bite if threatened. Rattlesnake bites are costly to treat and can be deadly. Baby rattlesnakes are especially dangerous because they release more venom, and are small making them hard to see and identify. If you suspect a bite contact us right away. If you frequent rattlesnake dense areas talk to us about the benefits of the Rattlesnake Vaccine.





SHADE AND WATER must be available at all times on hot summer days. Animals overheat very quickly and easily, especially geriatric animals, those with thick coats, or that are overweight. Heatstroke is a very serious condition so avoid it at all costs. Do not take your pets for runs or hikes when it is hot outside.

PARKED CARS can be deadly to your pets. Fact: A parked car on an 80 degrees F day can reach 120 degrees F in as little as ten minutes, especially if the car is in the sun. Your pets body temperature is higher than ours to start with, and they are covered with fur so they can overheat in a matter of minutes. Don't leave your pets in a parked car, even on cooler days.          

HOT PAVEMENT can burn your pets paw pads. Even after it has cooled down outside do the barefoot test: if it’s hot to your touch, it will be hot for your pets paws.



BBQ s and outdoor eating allows for ingestion of food, beverage, and objects that can be upsetting to your pets digestive system. Keep table scraps to a minimum as the fat content may be hard to digest, and never offer bones to be chewed on, as they can cause intestinal problems and broken teeth.

WATER LOVERS are prone to ear infections. To prevent infections, use a drying ear flush as a regular maintenance after your dog is done swimming. If you see a lot of waxy discharge or notice a displeasing odor coming from your dogs ears have us take a look.

ALLERGIES can be a nuisance to you and your pets. Try to keep grasses and weeds down. Wipe your pets paws and coat when they come inside to remove allergens before they are ingested. Itchy skin when chewed, licked, and scratched becomes irritated and infected very quickly. If your pet suffers from allergies please talk to us so we can make an individualized plan based on your pets specific needs.

HOLIDAY FIREWORKS AND FESTIVITIES can be loud and frightening for your pets. Keep cats and dogs indoors so they can't run into streets or other dangerous areas out of fear. Close them in a comfortable room and turn a stereo on with the bass turned up to drown out some of the outside noise. Ask us for further advise if you have a noise sensitive pet.


Offer plenty of  positive rewards for good behavior.

 Stop in for a cookie and a pat!


                                      Fall And Winter Tips



With Fall and Winter holidays the goodies are abundant. Below is a list of SOME food items that are dangerous to your pets.

CHOCOLATE: It contains theobromine which is highly toxic to animals. It is in its highest quantities in dark chocolate and cocoa, but all chocolate contains some.

RAISINS: Some animals are sensitive to raisins (and grapes). Cause is unknown but severe reaction is seen in some animals. It is best to avoid pet consumption.

XYLITOL: This synthetic sweetener is very toxic to animals in small quantities. It can be found in chewing gums and candy. Keep it away from your pet.

CANDY: In addition to the ingredients listed above, pets tend not to remove wrappers when digging into the candy stash. Wrappers can cause serious gastrointestinal upset including potential obstruction.

Also keep onions, garlic, macadamia nuts, uncooked yeast dough, and toxic plants away from your pets. If your pet has ingested anything concerning or unintended call us immediately.





MUSHROOMS love warm, wet enviornments.They will grow almost anywhere outside, pop up quickly, and are extremely difficult to get rid of. Some mushrooms are very toxic, and can be deadly when ingested. Never let your pet eat any mushroom. If you suspect he/she may have ingested any mushroom material contact us right away. We treat all mushrooms as dangerous, as there are many species and they are very hard to identify.

TICKS can transmit diseases to you and your pets. It is important to completely remove any tick you find on your pet and dispose of it down the toilet.

How to REMOVE a tick: Using tweezers grab the tick as close to the mouth as possible (where it is attached to your animal) and pull off. Do not squeeze the ticks’ body or twist. Tick removing products are easy to use and more likely to remove ticks without leaving mouth parts behind. Ask us and we’ll show you how to use one.

Watch tick areas closely for signs of infection including excessive or non-healing swelling, redness or oozing. Let us know if you see anything concerning.

If you live in or frequent heavy dear areas a tick PREVENTATIVE is advised. Please discuss this with us so we can choose the best product for your pets needs.


If you are interested in receiving our e-mail newsletters and announcements please give us your e-mail address!